Sunday, June 26, 2011

Red Rock Canyon

       On the Friday of our trip, we went to Red Rock Canyon National Preservation Area. At the Visitors' Center, there were four sections, each describing the four forces that shaped the canyon: earth, wind, water, and fire. I laughed to myself that it left out the biggest force of all: God. After going through the center, we drove on a narrow, winding road through Red Rock Canyon. It was amazing to look around me and see the natural beauty. I couldn't help but think, with a bit of scorn, The city slickers probably don't even know what they're missing. All they'd have to do is drive a bit outside of town and they'd be in this beautiful, new world.
       We drove for miles in the canyon. Many people would get tired of the drive-- they'd say "If you've seen one rock you've seem 'em all." But I beg to differ. I couldn't get enough! It took everything in me to not go running into the hills, climbing the rocks, wandering the trails. I had this inexplicable urge to just get lost. Of course, now I'm glad I didn't act on that bizarre impulse. But at the time, the only thing keeping me from wandering off was that my grandparents were in the car, waiting for me. Every now and then-- no, every few hundred feet-- they had to slow (sometimes stop) the car for me to take pictures. I wanted to take a picture of every peak of every mountain and all the plants and rocks in between. Most of the time, though, I would roll down my window and take pictures as quick as I could, before the scene would disappear in our trail of dust.
       I really liked the feeling of being almost alone. Occasionally there would be other cars and other sight-seers, but most of the time it was just us.
       It was sad leaving the beautiful landscape. As we zoomed away, I rolled my window down and stuck my head out so I could look back. I now know why it is that dogs hang their faces out of cars. It somehow brings such freedom and joy! While I enjoyed myself, my family laughed at me for my silliness. But I wasn't being silly-- I was being as free as I could be while cramped in a car with my family.
       I'm not sure why, but those few minutes of wind blowing my face, whipping my hair around me, were some of the best minutes of the whole trip.
       I don't really have a life-lesson to make from this, but it was fun to reminisce on a small yet joyful event. I guess maybe that's the point-- Finding the small moments of life that are insignificant yet oh so very significant, the moments that don't last long but make a lasting impression.








No comments:

Post a Comment