Thursday, January 27, 2011

Railroad Crossings

      The most annoying part about a car trip is having to stop at a railroad crossing, especially when the train is moving exceedingly slow. There is nothing to do. That's why someone, a long time ago, invented the game of "let's-count-how-many-cars-there-are-on-this-train." I don't know about you, but I get dizziness and a bad headache from watching all the cars fly by. I also lose count after about the tenth car, so I always wind up slouching in my seat and groaning until the guard rails go up.
      Tonight, however, was different. My sister and I were on our way home, car windows down and enjoying the wind blowing the hair in our faces. We were making good time--we were tired and anxious to get home--when we saw the red railroad lights flashing and the rails going down. After we stopped, we stared blankly ahead as we waited for the train to go by, hoping it would be a fast, short train. A pick-up truck, also with all of its windows down, pulled up in the lane next to us; it pulled a little farther forward than us, so the back seat of the truck was in line with my sister and I.
      Rarely do I ever pay attention to people in other cars, but tonight was different. It all began when the train first came into view. It moved slower than any other train I have ever seen before in my life. I wouldn't normally complain, but this train was so sluggish I had to voice my thoughts: Are you kidding me?! You can do it... Just a little bit faster! Seriously?! Then I heard voices from the truck next to us--the driver was saying just about the same things I was saying about the speed (or lack of speed) of the train.
      Then I heard a smaller, second voice. I look to my right and I see little fingers gripping the edge of the window. Then, like a tiny gopher popping out of its hole, I see two little eyes peering over at me and disappear two seconds later. Giggling, I poked my sister and nodded towards the truck. We watched as a little boy, about three years old, leaned forward, smiled, and waved at me. Unable to stop myself, I grinned and waved back. And thus began the best time I've ever had at a railroad crossing.
      I don't know how long we were stopped there, but it couldn't possibly have been long enough. The little boy waved until I waved back. He would then excitedly say to the driver, "Daddy, daddy! Look at that pretty lady! She's waving to me!" and keep waving. At some point, he stopped waving, but started rocking back and forth in his seat, in and out of my view. I realized he was playing peek-a-boo, so I covered my eyes with my hands, opened them, and continued the game with my new little friend. He started shrieking in the most adorable voice "Peek-a-boo!" and "I see you!" over and over as he popped in and out of sight. We were both laughing so hard (my sister was getting a kick out of it, too). Every now and then, he would announce to his dad "She's smiling at me!" or "We're playing together!" At one point, he said "I really like her! Can I date her?" I could barely hear him, but I heard the three-year-old's dad say "Isn't she a little too old for you?" At that, the little boy leaned over and simply beamed at me.
      Unfortunately, the train had gotten faster and was coming to an end. My sister pulled forward in anticipation of the green light, just enough to put us in line with the truck's driver. He yelled out his window, nodding at the little boy in the seat behind him, "Thanks for keeping him entertained! That could've been the longest train ever!" Laughing, we drove off in different directions.
      Now I wonder if that little boy does that at all the red lights and railroad crossing he stops at. It's like the game "Sweet and Sour," where you wave to everyone you see (if they wave back, they are sweet, otherwise they are sour). This precious boy could probably turn even the most sour person into a sweet one, according to the rules of the game. It was impossible for me to resist joining his little game. Besides, there was nothing better to do with my time.
      At railroad crossings, what do you do? Are you the person who ignores the other cars around you? Do you count the train cars as they go by? Does the music volume get turned up when you see it's a long freight train you're waiting for? I highly doubt you do what the little boy did, but why not? He made my day, and I maybe made his.
      Smiling is contagious, and it is the simplest way to spread happiness. At times when you have nothing to do, you should question yourself about what would be a good way of filling your time. If you're in the car by yourself at a railroad crossing, spend the time praying or thinking over a Bible verse. Smile at the person in the car next to you, especially if it's a little kid (they will almost always smile or wave back). Next time you are stopped because a train is crawling by, try it out. Take advantage of the extra time on your hands and spread a little happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment